Powered by Blogger.
Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Crochet Away



This week I finished my first crochet blanket! I taught myself to crochet about 2 months ago now using some fantastic Youtube videos (check out CrochetHooksYou - she's so helpful and goes nice and slowly for beginners) and my first project was a beanie hat. I then moved onto the Louise doll I showed you a few weeks back, but my intention has always been to complete a pretty blanket for my daughter and I've always loved the look of the giant granny square afghans.

So I picked what type of square I wanted to make, I like the look of having larger holes so I chose to do ch2 between dbl crochets and use a size 4 hook. I wanted a thick striped colour effect so chose to change colours every 2 rounds and I think the finished product looks quite effective! The top photo (apologies for the iphone photo complete with blur, my child does not like to stay still but she does seem to like the blanket!) shows the colours best, a lovely bright pink and creamy off white.


For the edging, I liked the idea of a scalloped wavy effect but didn't want anything too fancy and just couldn't decide on a pattern I liked. I searched Google quite a few times until I came across this Double V Edging by Bunny Mummy and it's perfect! It's incredibly simple but looks so lovely and gives just a slight pretty scallop without being too fussy.

The blanket measures around 1metre square which I decided would be perfect for us as it can be snuggled with on the sofa with an adult, or doubled up for baby use.

Thanks for checking out my finished blanket! I hope it inspires you to try something new.

0 comments: