Powered by Blogger.
Sunday, September 29, 2013

American Style Pancake Recipe



For years I stayed clear of trying American style Pancakes, I mean, here in England we have our own yummy, light, thin pancakes. We even have a day dedicated to eating them (shrove tuesday) and the American style ones just looked a little too stodgy to me. But on my birthday this year we visited Buddies American Diner and I thought I'd finally give them ago. Well, my world was changed forever and I needed to make them at home, as soon as possible!


The first recipe I tried was from the BBC website and while it was nice, it just didn't seem quite fluffy enough and when I used a ladle to spoon the mixture into the pan (as advised by the website) the pancakes all went odd shaped and looked awful.
So this weekend I went in search of a better recipe and happened upon Nigella's mixture.

I doubled the mixture up and it made tons! So many I've frozen some for next weekend!
This is the method I used;

  • 2 tablespoon baking powder
  • 2 pinch of salt
  • 2 teaspoon caster sugar
  • 4 eggs (beaten)
  • 60 grams margarine (melted and cooled)
  • 600 ml milk
  • 450 grams plain flour
  • Margarine for frying
I whizzed up all my ingredients in my KitchenAid, until it looked fluffy with little tiny bubbles, I then carefully poured it into a pyrex jug and got my frying pan out.
I placed about half a teaspoon of margarine in my pan on a medium heat and once melted, slowly poured enough mixture to make a "silver dollar" sized pancake (about 4 inches wide I'd say).
It's really important not to overcook these so watch carefully, as soon as tiny bubble appear on the surface of the pancake (should be less than 1 min) then flip it over. Cook the other side for around 30 seconds and serve!

When I was making these I wanted to serve them as a short stack, so I put two plates in the oven on a very low heat (around 30degrees) and popped each pancake on a plate as I cooked. Because I only have 1 medium sized frying pan I could only do 1 pancake at a time so it took a little while to get my husband and I a nice sized stack each! I much prefer doing it this way as you get a nice warm stack of pancakes at the end.

To finish off I drizzled each stack with maple syrup and grilled up a couple of slices of bacon to top off my husbands stack!


I hope this inspires you to make something yummy! America, I salute you!

0 comments: